How do you get started with a business recycling program? It’s easy! Begin by getting your employees involved. Appoint a ‘green team’ to conduct an audit of the kind of materials your business generates, as well as the amount of waste your operation produces. Or, consider hiring a professional to assess your business. Remember, your company’s waste may make you a treasure! Contact Midwest Fiber Recycling for a recycling assessment and learn how your recyclable materials can put money in your company coffers.
When starting a recycling program, consider these steps:
- Provide information and train staff on what and how to recycle
- Gain feedback from the custodial staff
- Encourage feedback from staff
- Address convenience
- Encourage participation
- Call Midwest Fiber Recycling for a recycling assessment to find out what your company may be able to recycle versus placing in the landfill!
Easy office conservation tips include:
- Schedule regular maintenance of the automotive fleet
- Use energy-efficient light bulbs
- Use solar energy when possible
- Single space text in documents
- Encourage employee carpools
- Insulate water heaters
- Adjust water heaters to the lowest feasible setting
- Install a programmable thermostat
- Conserve water
- Use flatware vs. disposable cutlery
- Use glassware vs. Styrofoam and paper cups
Get employees involved
The best way to get any company program started is to get buy-in from your staff. Educate employees about the importance of recycling and its impact on our environment and your company’s bottom line! Ask employees to recommend locations for recycling receptacles for the highest volume and consider rewarding employees and/or departments for their recycling efforts.
Reward your employees for their recycling efforts. It doesn’t have to be anything big. Consider hosting a pizza luncheon for the staff or a small gift card to an employee who creates a new and successful recycling suggestion for your company.
Benefits of Recycling in the Workplace