Welcome to Midwest Fiber Recycling. Since 1990, we have been Central Illinois’ leader in full-service recycling options. We are devoted to finding creative and innovative solutions to our clients’ business recycling needs. We hope this resource center answers all your questions about recycling, its importance, and its value to your company and our environment.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (E.P.A.) estimates the average (across different products and industries) recycling rate to be 32.5 percent. What happens to the remaining non-recycled waste? According to the E.P.A., 12.5 percent is burned in incineration facilities (spewing hazardous emissions to the atmosphere). In comparison, the remaining 55 percent (well over half of the estimated 251 million tons of solid waste produced in a year) is deposited in landfills across the country. Clearly, there is room for recycling to grow in this country.
Recycling and Waste Reduction in McLean County
Resource Recycling Magazine
E.P.A.: Municipal Solid Waste in the United States 2007 Facts and Figures
Did You Know?
- A typical business office uses approximately 1.5 pounds of wasted paper per employee per day.
- Financial businesses generate more than 2 pounds per employee per day.
- Nearly half of the typical office paper waste is high-grade office paper and RECYCLABLE!
- Recycling one ton of paper saves $25 to $30 of landfill disposal costs and approximately 6.7 cubic yards of landfill space.
- Commercial and residential paper waste accounts for more than 40 percent of waste currently heading to the landfill.
- Every recycled ton of paper saves approximately 17 trees and 462 gallons of oil. (source: Michigan Department of Environmental Quality)
A Recycling Revolution
Call or contact a Midwest Fiber representative today to learn more!